Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

March -AHA Journal

Week One - Tagxedo

         Above is an image I made using a website called Tagxedo. This word cloud was created using this blog as the base. Words that are used many times are given more prominence and words that are less prevalent are smaller. Tagxedo is unique because unlike other word clouds one is able to change the clouds shape and color pallet. I think that I could defiantly use this website in my own classroom. It could be used as a hook in a lesson, or as a way to compare different speeches. I also feel like this could be a interesting way, at the beginning of the year, to have students introduce themselves. They could write a personal narrative, then use Tagxedo to create a visual they can present to the class.



Week Two - Logos
Images Courtesy of http://www.famouslogos.us/kfc-logo/ 
              I am a student of history. I love to learn the origin of things especially words. The word Logo comes from the days of "hot metal typesetting, a logotype was a uniquely set and arranged typeface." Today when we think of logos are with usually thinking about trademarks. It can be interesting to take a historical perspective when looking at changes corporations make to their logos. It is obvious that logos have become more visual overtime. The above example, from Kentucky Fried Chicken, I think makes my point. Not only did the logo become more colorful and more "picture centered" overtime, but it also cuts back on the wording. No one even bothers to say the full name of the company anymore- Kentucky Fried Chicken has become KFC. It just is another illustration of how visual our society has become.



Week Three- Tanning  


Flickr by Addixon 777
                 It is starting to become that time of year when swim suites are appearing in Target, and temperatures are starting to get above 65 degrees. People are already starting to spend more time outside and soon they will start to pull out beach towels and begin to soak up some sun. Sun tans (and burns) will naturally ensure, but some want to be tan, really tan, year around. Tanning has come and gone out of style over time. Victorian women desired a pale complexion. They carried around parasols, and put on white power to accomplish this affect. Before the 1920's a tan was associated with the lower class; people who had tans worked outside. Slowly things changed. Coco Chanel, fashion icon, once accidentally got burned while on vacation and her "followers" picke up on the trend. Also there was a famous Parisian singer, Josephine Baker, who helped along the darker skin ideal. Before we knew it we had sun kissed Malibu Barbie, and were buying bronzer. I think it is interesting that I really couldn't find any scientific reason behind why we find a tans attractive- it seems to just be a cultural trend.



Week Four - Human Beauty


This is a photograph of my parents before a high school dance.
              Is beauty in the eye of the beholder? I looked to see if there was any scientific research into what is considered human beauty. Researchers at New Mexico University found that one of the major factors in beauty is facial symmetry. They believe that this is the case because symmetry is linked with a good immune system, which equates with good genes and healthy off spring. Research have also found that men prefer women with “baby like” features: large eyes, a small jaw and nose. Still, it has also been shown that people tend to “choose mates with a similar level of attractiveness.” Above is a photograph of my parents when they were still dating, and I think that as a couple they hold true to the rule. It will now be interesting to look at couples and advertisements with this new knowledge in tow.







No comments:

Post a Comment