When I first saw that Dr. Z wanted us to blog about "Global Learning" I was kind of confused about the term. So, I did what any good digital native would do I "googled it." In my exploration I found this neat website called the Global Learning Consortium. At first it was hard to understand the purpose of the organization, but after clicking around a little bit I was very impressed. The website itself isn't particularly useful to non-members, but I was more impressed with the organization. The organization members include hardware and software providers, schools, government agencies, publishers and more. This organization is a"neutral forum in which members work together to advocate the use of technology to support and transform education and learning." While I might never become a member of the organization I think it is a good example of the way technology clears the path for global communication. I found a definition of Global Learning I liked: "An idea of a curriculum that is international in scope and prepares today’s youth around the world to function in a one-world environment intellectually, professionally, and humanistically." I think IMS is an example of how people are already functioning/thinking in at an international scope. I guess it is best to understand that my role as a teacher is to prepare students for a world that is more interconnected than ever before.
Below is a link to the Flat Classroom Project. It was created by two American teachers in order to incorporate Global Learning in their classrooms: http://www.flatclassroomproject.org/
No comments:
Post a Comment