Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Visual Literacy- Movie Review- Objectified

What do you feel is the message the director is trying to express in this movie? 
I think that the director wanted the audience to become more aware of the objects around them and to appreciate how much thought is put into designing them. For most of us when we think of design we think of maybe interior design or fashion design. Still, all the things around us- chairs, pens, forks- are designed.

Explain if you think the director's ethnic/cultural /professional background played a role in directing this film?
This film was the created by Gary Hustwit. He is best known for his design trilogy which includes this film as well as Helvetica- another film I watched for this class. I don't see a direct correlation between his ethnic background and this film. Still, it's clear that he has a passion for design that has helped propel his films forward.

What the movie added to your visual literacy? 

I found it really interesting when they interviewed a designer for Apple. His goal was to make a product that was designed so well that one almost didn't realize it was designed. He said that he was constantly thinking "Why is it like that instead of like this?" He made me realize the idea is that simple design isn't necessarily something that is easy to create. Also I feel this simple design is something that is universally appealing. People in different countries from different cultures can all appreciate something that is simply well designed.

What kind of artistic and/or visual means did the director use in the movie to focus our attention?
At the very beginning of the documentary when they were making the chair, there was no narration or music, this really made you focus on the visual of creating the chair. They also used a lot of extreme close ups that make you look at objects in a different way. The close ups make you really consider objects you wouldn't think about twice otherwise.

Additional comments/and or analysis/and or other movie recommendations.
It made me realize that every object around me was designed by someone. I think it is true that every object has a story. Even something as simple as toothpick was designed and created that way for a reason. 


Objectified Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment