What do you feel is the
message the director is trying to express in this movie? Overall I really got a sense of hope from this documentary. As the film went along the "pickers" became people to me. They showed their working conditions and poverty which made you feel bad for them. However, once the documentary creators started to interview the workers individually you were reminded that these pickers were people with personalities and stories. I was especially touched by the women, a picker for five years, who was heartbroken by a recent break up. It really helped me get a sense of a global community.
Does the movie have accurate depictions of minorities or are they situational?
I didn't really notice any minorites depicted in this movie. Yes, the workers would be considered to be minorities if they lived in the United States, but in Brazil I don't think that you could count them as such.
I didn't really notice any minorites depicted in this movie. Yes, the workers would be considered to be minorities if they lived in the United States, but in Brazil I don't think that you could count them as such.
Explain if you think the
director's ethnic/cultural /professional background played a role in directing
this film?
Vik Muniz isn't the director, but you can see this documentary was created from his inspiration. He was born into poverty in San Paulo, Brazil and then he "made it" as an artist in New York. This film is his way of giving back and raising awareness about the poverty and working conditions of the "pickers." Lucy Walker was the film's director, and she has made her career from directing documentaries. It seems clear that she has a passion for telling stories, and raising awareness as well.
Vik Muniz isn't the director, but you can see this documentary was created from his inspiration. He was born into poverty in San Paulo, Brazil and then he "made it" as an artist in New York. This film is his way of giving back and raising awareness about the poverty and working conditions of the "pickers." Lucy Walker was the film's director, and she has made her career from directing documentaries. It seems clear that she has a passion for telling stories, and raising awareness as well.
What groups of people may be offended or misinterpret this movie and why?
The documentary was focused on the pickers of Jardim Gramacho, a huge landfill outside of Rio de Janeiro. The people live in poverty, which could cause one to believe that everyone in Brazil is poor. I think that the documentary does a good job at presenting the pickers as individuals- not as just a group of poor people. Still, I could see how people living in Brazil could feel like the documentary only paints Brazil in one light, while Brazil is extremely complex and is indeed the fifth largest country in the world.
The documentary was focused on the pickers of Jardim Gramacho, a huge landfill outside of Rio de Janeiro. The people live in poverty, which could cause one to believe that everyone in Brazil is poor. I think that the documentary does a good job at presenting the pickers as individuals- not as just a group of poor people. Still, I could see how people living in Brazil could feel like the documentary only paints Brazil in one light, while Brazil is extremely complex and is indeed the fifth largest country in the world.
What the movie added to your visual literacy?
I noticed Vik often times positioning the subjects or giving them direction before he took their pictures. I tend to think that a "good" photographer would just capture the moment. I guess it depends on the reason for the photograph. In this case the photos were used in an artistic process, so as an artist I guess that he should try his best to direct the subjects. In other cases like certain types of photo journalism, the photographer is probably more hesitant to modify the subjects. I just thought it was interesting.
What kind of artistic
and/or visual means did the director use in the movie to focus our attention?
The camera work was often shaky when they wanted you to feel the chaos of the place. I especially noticed it during a part when they were unloading a truck full of garbage and all the "pickers" were jumping on top of it immediately. I also noticed the use of camera angles in this documentary. They showed a lot of birds eye view angles, which I think served to show both the magnitude of the dump and gave you the sense that the people were little and insignificant.
The camera work was often shaky when they wanted you to feel the chaos of the place. I especially noticed it during a part when they were unloading a truck full of garbage and all the "pickers" were jumping on top of it immediately. I also noticed the use of camera angles in this documentary. They showed a lot of birds eye view angles, which I think served to show both the magnitude of the dump and gave you the sense that the people were little and insignificant.
Putting Visual Literacy aside. I really got a lot out of this movie. It made me really appreciate the blessings I have. I especially was touched by the story of the 18 year old girl who had been picking for 7 years. She had two children at home she only got to see once every two weeks. I couldn't image dealing with all of that especially at such a young age.
Waste Land Trailer
No comments:
Post a Comment